Unthinkable but true, a large majority of car insurance policyholders have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. With the average car insurance premium being $1,343, Ohio drivers can save as much as 55% each year, but they just don’t understand the amount of savings they would get if they replace their high priced policy.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get affordable Toyota Prius insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers in Cleveland. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic violations and a not-so-good credit history can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies. View rates
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit payment and a completed application for your new policy. Be sure to place your new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
One thing to remember is to try to use the same level of coverage on every quote and and to get prices from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
How to compare free Cleveland Toyota Prius insurance quotes
The car insurance companies shown below offer price comparisons in Ohio. If you want cheap car insurance in OH, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Three reasons insurance is important
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Toyota, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Toyota at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover medical bills for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Toyota gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying over $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance statistics and figures
The premium information displayed below covers detailed analysis of insurance costs for Toyota Prius models. Being more informed about how insurance prices are determined can help drivers make informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Information does not factor in Cleveland location which can lower or raise premium rates greatly.
Rate increases following a ticket or accident
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and at-fault accidents raise Toyota Prius annual premium costs for different age categories. The rates are based on a single male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Gender differences in auto insurance premiums
The chart below illustrates the difference between Toyota Prius insurance costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Liability only or full coverage
The information below shows the comparison of Toyota Prius insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The information is based on a clean driving record, no claims, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no definitive guideline of when to exclude comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Prius replacement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $600 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are a few situations where only buying liability is not advised. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not drop full coverage.
Companies offer many types of discounts on Toyota Prius insurance in Cleveland
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you may be missing some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be manually applied before they will apply.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current Prius insurance policy. It can save you around 10%.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of more than 20%.
- Cleveland Homeowners Discount – Just owning your own home can save you money because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- New Car Discount – Buying a new car instead of a used Prius can be considerably cheaper since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
Please keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The illustration below compares Toyota Prius insurance costs with and without discounts applied. The premiums are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Ohio state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and marriage discounts applied.
Some companies that possibly offer these discounts include:
When comparing rates, check with all the companies which discounts they offer. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not apply in every state. To locate insurers with the best discounts in Cleveland, click here to view.
Compare prices but still have a neighborhood Cleveland auto insurance agent
A small number of people prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! Good insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. If you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
Cleveland car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you want to use a local agent, you should know the different types of agencies that you can choose from. Auto insurance agents are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either type can do a good job, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers sometimes buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the prominence of the brand rather than low rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Cleveland that are able to give comparison quotes.
- State Farm: Betsy Warner
2491 Lee Blvd – Cleveland Heights, OH 44118 – (216) 932-6900 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Nanci Cieckiewicz
4719 State Rd – Cleveland, OH 44109 – (216) 739-0990 – View Map
- Jinisha Patel – State Farm Insurance Agent
4342 Ridge Rd – Brooklyn, OH 44144 – (216) 741-6100 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection. Many can place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Cleveland willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Furlong and Co Insurance Agency Inc
569 E 185th St – Cleveland, OH 44119 – (216) 486-4170 – View Map
- Evarts Tremaine
1111 Superior Ave #420 – Cleveland, OH 44113 – (216) 621-7183 – View Map
- Independent Insurance Agency of Ohio
2310 Superior Ave #215 – Cleveland, OH 44114 – (216) 472-8000 – View Map
Once you have received good responses to your questions and cheaper Prius insurance quotes, it’s a good possibility that you have found an auto insurance agent that can be trusted to provide auto insurance coverage.
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
When quoting and choosing coverage for your vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Who is covered when they drive my Toyota Prius?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Toyota Prius?
- What states are considered no-fault?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Insurance coverage options for a Toyota Prius
Knowing the specifics of your policy can be of help when determining the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are typical coverages available from insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance – This protects you from damage that occurs to other people or property. It protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, court costs, pain and suffering and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Ohio requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why low liability limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses such as chiropractic care, prosthetic devices and hospital visits. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance – This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as hail damage, hitting a deer and theft. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Toyota Prius.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 25/50/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Prius from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a parking meter, colliding with another moving vehicle and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your Prius to save money on collision insurance.
You can lower your car insurance rates
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to lower your Toyota Prius insurance auto insurance rates in Cleveland. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Cleveland car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small mutual company. These companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
As you quote Cleveland car insurance, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, someone sacrificed collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in Cleveland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in Cleveland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Cleveland Auto Insurance for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)