Astonishing but true according to a recent study, most Ohio auto insurance customers have been with the same company for four years or more, and just under half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Most drivers in the United States could pocket $850 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t know how much they could save if they changed companies.
Truthfully, the best way to save money on car insurance rates in Cleveland is to start comparing prices yearly from insurance carriers in Ohio. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Gain an understanding of coverages and the things you can control to prevent rate increases. Many things that result in higher rates such as distracted driving and a low credit score can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article gives instructions to get lower rates and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment and a completed application to your new carrier. Once received, keep your new certificate of insurance in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
One important bit of advice is to use identical coverage information on every quote request and and to analyze all possible companies. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving may be able to save a few bucks off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles may allow you to get substantially lower rates.
- Smart Student Discounts – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and insure them with the same company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Club Memberships – Being in a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for insurance.
Just know that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies with discount insurance rates in Ohio, click this link.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Ohio. If you want to find cheaper auto insurance in Cleveland, OH, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
What insurance coverages do I need?
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Local Cleveland auto insurance agents and auto insurance
Certain consumers just want to buy from a local agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents will help you protect your assets and give you someone to call. A good thing about price shopping on the web is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this simple form, your insurance coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Cleveland that give free quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you just need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an company requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
If you need to find a good Cleveland insurance agent, you should know the different agency structures and how they work. Insurance agencies in Cleveland are considered either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it is a good idea to know why they differ since it can affect the selection process.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Cleveland that can give you price quotes.
Agents in the independent channel are not restricted to one company and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company which makes it simple for you.
When comparing auto insurance prices, you will want to compare quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Cleveland that can give you rate quotes.
Insurance Agency Compass
4879 Turney Rd – Cleveland, OH 44125 – (216) 341-2444 – View Map
Compare car insurance rates regularly to save
There are still a few companies who don’t offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with local independent agents. Affordable Mazda MPV insurance in Cleveland can be purchased from both online companies in addition to many Cleveland insurance agents, so you need to compare both so you have a total pricing picture.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even lack of trust in their agent. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
As you quote Cleveland car insurance, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Even more information can be read at these sites:
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- How Much is Cleveland Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Ford Escape in Cleveland? (FAQ)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)